It would be great if all heating systems (as well as air conditioning system) came with artificial intelligence that could immediately notify homeowners that something is wrong, what it is, and the next steps to take. Who knows, maybe one day that kind of technology will exist. For the moment, however, if you have a furnace in your home, you’ll need to watch for less straightforward warnings that it needs repairs from professionals.
And it’s important to always have any furnace repairs in Bellevue, WA done by licensed HVAC professionals. With gas furnaces—the most common around here—licensed technicians are the only people who are legally allowed to work on them. Professionals can ensure the job gets done fast and right without any hazard to you and your family.
5 Warnings It’s Time to Call for Furnace Repair
A furnace that won’t turn on is obviously one that needs assistance. We’re going to look at the less obvious warnings so you can call for help before the furnace completely fails.
- Loud or unusual noises: If you’ve already had the furnace for a season, you’ll know what sounds to expect from it as the fan turns on and the burners ignite. A strange new sound, like clanging or mechanical screeching, or just more noise in general, usually means something is wrong with the furnace and it needs attention right away.
- Acrid odors from the vents: One common furnace problem is a motor that’s overheating because of dust or a loss of lubrication. As this starts to happen, you’ll notice a burning smell coming from the vents. Have technicians in to replace the motor before it fails.
- Short-cycling: This means the furnace is turning on and off rapidly over an hour, rather than staying on to complete a full heating cycle. There are many possibilities for why this happens. It can be as simple as a clogged air filter, or as extreme as a furnace that was incorrectly sized when it was installed. No matter the source, short-cycling is bad for the furnace and will force it to wear down rapidly.
- Sudden heating cost hike: When you get your monthly utility bill during the winter and you notice costs have taken a steep rise over what you expect, the source could be a furnace malfunction. Outwardly, nothing may seem wrong, but inside the furnace something is pushing the system to work harder and drain more power. A professional can diagnose what’s wrong and have it fixed.
- Uneven heating: Have you found rooms in your home are colder than you expect when the furnace is running? Or are some rooms too stuffy and hot? This uneven distribution of heat is a big warning that the furnace is encountering problems, or possibly there are air leaks in the ductwork.
Our Professionals Are Here to Help
Finding experts to discover out what ails your furnace and have it fixed, fast, is as easy as calling our offices. We have 24-hour emergency service available so you don’t have to worry about waiting for regular hours to start.
S&L Mechanical Heating and Cooling offers quality heating and cooling services to Seattle and the surrounding areas.